Counter bearing treatment

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:57:56 -0600

>Hmm.... Why do both of my scaleing programs then demand to know this
backlength
>for all 88 strings. Also... when I fool around with this backlength
>(experimenting
>with what the programs do and dont..) the figures for inharmonicity,
>tension, and
>breaking point change significantly.

* Beats me. I don't see how backscale length could affect any of these
things. Course, I've been wrong before, but if anyone has a rational
explanation of how backscale length can affect inharmonicity, tension, and
breaking percentage, I'd sure like to hear it.

> Plus there have been several
>discussions on
>this list which I have understood point to the importance of the backlength in
>this regard... Have I missed something here ??? (grin.. wouldnt be the first
>time)
>
>Richard Brekne

* I don't recall this ever coming up on the list before. There's been some
discussion of how too short a backscale will restrict soundboard movement,
and innumerable/interminable discussions on the merits or detriments of
this or that flavor of front or rear duplex scaling and V bar
configuration, but nothing that I can remember about backscale length as
applies to rescaling. Anyone else?

Ron N