Counter bearing treatment

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 22:29:49 +0100

Brian Trout wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> You wrote:
> > On the side... why do scaling programs not take into consideration the
> string
> > length from the tuning pin to the forward termination, but do take into
> account
> > the length behind the bridge ??
> >
> I would venture to say that the length of wire behind the bridge is more
> critical because the bridge is not stationary, but rather needs to move.  If
> the wire length is too short, it will indeed 'clamp' the movement of the
> bridge.  (That would be bad).

Hmmm... I am begginning to wonder if this is so bad after all.  It certainly
would require other design considerations to be optimized for this configuation.
But as to their affect to scales... Ok.. the bridge needs to move and the front
termination point needs to be stable.. true enough.. but there is always going
to be some leakage frontways, which means the front lengths contribute in some
way or another. Tradition holds to ignore this in scaleing programs and
formulas.. but what could be gained if these lengths were taken into
consideration.

I wonder for example what the real effect of the different lenghts due to the
placement of tuning pins really is, and I have often wondered what would be the
result if the length between the front termination and the deflection point was
determined by the same criteria as backlengths are in scaleing programs, instead
of this somewhat vague notion of "harmonic (or not) to the speaking length).
Also... looking at this front duplex segment as how it contributes to total
string inharmonicity instead of what frequencies it in itself is supposed to
sing at (which never quite comes out right anyways).

Just musing a bit.. but if anyone has any "in the know" info on this and has the
time to jot it down.. well I am always gratefull for such.Perhaps at some point,
I'll be

> able to lay hands on those Journal articles as well. :-)

Grin... I too am looking very much forward to the Journal on CD

> Best wishes,

The same to you my freind

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.