Tuning in where it is

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:13:00 +0100

Frank Cahill wrote:

> OK, John. But a pitch raise of 50-100 cents adds time to my tuning.  If it's only 10-15 cents, no big deal...it can be done in one pass. But some pianos are way off and require 2-4 passes of fractions thereof.  I charge extra for the extra work. Some folks
> don't want to pay extra! For these folks, I may raise it 10 cents and that it.
>
> I do agree that if it needs to be at pitch, then do it! This nonsense of doing it over several tunings appears to be a way of getting extra tuning jobs.

I dont call this nonsense at all. It definatly adds somewhat to stability in many if not most cases, does absolutely no harm in the few "othewise" cases, and allows me to schedule my days in a much more predicatable manner. Pianos that need to be raised more
then a quarter step... every time..

If there is anything that is nonsensical.. its this oversympathetic attitude towards folks who let their pianos get in this condition in the first place.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway