Tuning it where it is

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 18:58:14 EST

staytuned@idirect.com writes:

<< Students practicing on "flat" pianos seldom progress beyond the first
year. Your records (of repeat business) will bear this out. >>

I do a lot of pitch raises, but I tend to leave the pre-1930 uprights where
they are unless I am convinced of the structural integrity.

As a child, I learned to play on an instrument that was 1/2 tone flat.  It
was raised to A=440 (by me) only after I had learned tuning on the side while
studying music in college.  I have never felt that I was disadvantaged by the
years 1/2 tone flat.

Perhaps that was because as a teenager, I got interested in radio and
discovered WWV (National Bureau of Standards) when it was broadcasting 440
pitch for 4 out of every 5 minutes.  I memorized the sound and the 1-second
pulse intervals.  The latter helped me guage 5 beats per second when setting
C3-E3 in the C temperament I learned.

When I learned tuning in the 1950's in rural New England, most uprights were
1/2 tone flat.  The Gentleman from whom I learned had tuned in the Mason &
Hamlin factory, with Stieff and with Steinert's (Boston), was a stickler for
accuracy but not for raising pitch on old klunkers whose plates might let go.
 I don't believe he informed everyone of the low pitch.  Few tuners did.

I make it a point to inform the customer of the pitch level and present the
alternatives.  Since getting my SAT III I record the exact cents deviation in
my records and never let a piano slip below that when doing repeats.  And
yes, I do have many repeats.  (Many of the appointments set up 6 months or a
year ahead when in the home to tune)

Bill Maxim, RPT
Simpsonville, SC