Tuning it where it is

Terry Beckingham beckingt@mb.sympatico.ca
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 17:52:32 -0600 (CST)

Wim,

Most of the pianos that I tune up here in the wilds of Northern Manitoba are
old neglected uprights that only get tuned every few years. They are usually
at least 25 cents flat and are more often than not between 50 and 100 cents
flat. I bring them all up to pitch and rarely break a string. I tuned one
last fall that was 200 cents flat with a fair amount of rust around the
pins. No strings broke.

I always explain to my customers that there is the possibility of string
breakage due to the age of the instrument and the presence of rust so they
are prepared when a string breaks. They are all smiles when I have completed
the job without incident, and frequently comment on how the piano hasn't
sounded that good for many years.

Cheers

Terry Beckingham