Advice

Michael Malone cowboy@mpinet.net
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 07:36:23 -0500

Howdy !!  I'm Michael and it's my first post.  A friend of mine at work's
father passed away last year.  My friends father raised his family as an
RPT.  He asked me if I was interested in his fathers tools, parts etc.  I
was quite honored to have a 30 year collection of tools and piano parts.
With that I began looking for classes, technicians, even reapir shops or
just anybody who would teach me the ropes.  Nothing.   I considered
correspondence courses, but, decided I already had books on the subject.  I
wanted human, hands on experience.  Well after months of reading literature,
manuals and scanning the internet I became so excited about how I was
beginning to love this area of craft.  I decided to try and do it myself.  I
found an old upright piano that was non-playable.  It took me endless hours
analyzing each part of it.  I completely disasembled the works and with each
of the 88 identical parts being repaired, replaced and re-assembled I found
myself learning ways to hold the hands, tools, etc which would make for a
smoother job.  Especially when replacing new stirrups !!  Sorry for this
winded email, but, here's the real reason I'm writing this.....  The time
came when I had done everything I could do .... all the repairing, replacing
and it was time to see if my challenge of something new would work.  When I
placed the works back into the old piano and played it for the first
time..... I felt something that nothing in life has given me since I don't
know when... It was such a rush that I have not played a piano with such
enthusiasm as that day last week.  I had taken an old silent piece of wood
and metal and breathed life into it.  It was such an experience and rush !
Well I'm looking for another piano to learn it's secrets.  I hope I can meet
new friends on this list and can share my future experiences and learn from
yours.

Michael in Orlando