A question on temperament

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 09:20:37 EST

In a message dated 1/8/00 5:59:53 AM Pacific Standard Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

<< >Can you possibly recommend any tuners or technicians that you know, or
 >know of, in the Southern California area who might be experienced, or at
 >least sympathetic, to non-ET tuning? <snip> Los Angeles proper (I live in a
 suburb

 just east of downtown).

 Hmmm,  I suppose no one in the Yellow Pages is screaming about their wide
 temperament variety out there! (:)   >>

No, Ed, they are not.  In fact, I got one of the meanest, most threatening
letters I have ever received from an RPT there who encountered a piano that
Owen Jorgensen had tuned in 1/4 Comma Meantone at a Convention.  Naturally,
this *unequal* temperament had to be tuned *back* to ET before anybody else
might run across it and have a heart attack, convulsion or stroke.  And, it
was assumed that the only person who could ever have been responsible for
such reprehensible conduct was little ol' me.

I was informed in no uncertain terms that there was a certain "style" of
tuning that was expected these days and that style was ET.  I was also told
that I had better not try this ever again in the future because there was a
group of "us" who knew what I was trying to do and would see to it that
corrective action would be taken.

Needless to say, I found the threat amusing if only slightly disturbing.  I
travel out there at least once a year to visit family and of course, I tune
all of the pianos I tune in something other than ET.  I haven't been shot at
yet.  I seem to recall a story about André-Michel Schub who upon requesting a
Werkmeister Temperament (an example of an artist who actually asked for
something other than ET), was told, "Forget it, you're getiing ET!"

Happy New Year.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin