Crack in Rim/ cracked Spinet

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 09:09:20 EST

<<"Ok, so what are the techniques for checking said crack?  I
would use a thin probe but that doesn't often tell much.
Anyone have some ideas?
David I.">>

David;
 A quick way to check: Clamp a long straight edge to the bottom portion of
the rim, with the end extending above the rim or at least to the top of the
rim.  Apply pressure to the rim trying to force it to deflect,,,if there is
'any' deflection, other than the most minute flexure, the rim itself is
cracked.
 Another method is to run a short small bead of yellow glue along the
crack..then apply pressure to the rim trying to deflect it in such a manner
as to open the crack...if the glue is 'sucked' into the crack the rim is
split.
Two ways, though I am sure there are others.
Jim Bryant (FL)