A question on temperament

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 08 Jan 2000 14:51:16 +0100

Hi Ed.

Course living here in Bergen kinda rules me out as far as your customer is
concerned, and besides.. I am just starting out on my non-ET adventure.

Concerning your question tho.. Bergen is a bit of a conservative town..yet even
here I hear increasing comments and wishes for non ET tunings. Cembelos.. or as
you call them Harpsichords, here are exclusivly tuned in non ET ,, by an
organist who doesnt really know what he is doing, but seems to do an ok job. I
loosely checked one of his Weickermeisters.. grin or what ever they are called
(I am a newbee to these things you see..) against my puter and it seemed to hold
up well.

In anycase, my own experiences in the recent past, the increasing interest for
non ET, and discussions on the list with Bill Bremmer, Richard Moody, to some
degree Newton, and others have all led me towards wanting to learn how to tune
these and tune them well.

I gotta kinda figure that ET's days of near total dominance in the western world
of music are numbered, and would advise all tuners to take a second, and third
look at alternatives.. not only because of how they sound.. but because one can
obviously learn a good deal about all tuning efforts in the process.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway