setting up for installing soundboards

Doug Hershberger dbhersh@home.com
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:22:57 -0800

Dear List,
   I know this stuff has been mentioned before so please bear with me. I =
know there are several among you who it would seem routinely install =
soundboards.

I have a friend who is about ready to set up his shop for installing =
boards but he is not on the list. I told him it would be good for him to =
sign on but I don't know if he has or not.

My questions to those of you with experience are as follows;
1. what are your thoughts pro/con on atmospherically crowned boards
2. Is the other method, radiusing the ribs and pressing the ribs/board =
into a caul of some sort?
3.(this one is my question)What do they mean when they say 60ft radius =
as it applies to soundboard crown?

He seemed to think that Steinway uses the atmosphere type method. I told =
him when I was there I didn't remember which method they used but they =
had a very expensive machine for precisely cutting around the perimeter =
of the board so that it would tightly fit the inside of the rim. Maybe =
that tight fit, plus gluing onto a angled shelf, plus diaphragmatic =
taper all contribute to their boards holding their crown.=20

Thank you for answering, I will save the messages for him.
Doug Hershberger,RPT
Aliso Viejo, CA