Who was it? (YR 2000)

Brian Holden bholden@wave.co.nz
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:28:18 +1300

-----Original Message-----
From: LTpianoman@AOL.COM <LTpianoman@AOL.COM>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Friday, 7 January 2000 14:59
Subject: Re: Who was it?

>Brian,
>This isn't a response to Who Was It, but I wanted to praise your
originality
>and diligence on attempting to tune the first piano of the new millenium. I
>use the word attempting very loosly! You probably did tune the first piano
of
>Y2K. (I printed out your certification- nice job! )
>
> I have a request; You said you have an audio recording of the tuning. Can
>you supply us with a little sound clip of the stroke of midnight television
>broadcast and the tuning at that moment? That would be interesting.
>Thanks in advance. Also, why don't you do the same thing next New Year's
Eve?
>That way, no one can dispute whether or not it really was the New
millenium.

>Take care,
>
>LarryTrischetta, Pocono NE Chapter
>Scranton, PA

Hello Larry

Firstly, you're quite right of course - the century does not strictly start
until the count of one (i.e 20001).  It seems most of humanity couldn't bear
to wait another whole year, and I must say, the number 2000 does look rather
impressive!  Will I do it again next year?  Probably not, and quite frankly
I think the fizz will have gone out of any second time round celebrations.

Regarding a copy of the audio recording, I can do better than that,  I will
send you a copy of the video as I think it will be more convincing.  When I
played the audio tape just now, I noticed lots of gaps, where I was
inserting the mute strip etc..  Even though I haven't replayed the video
yet, I am sure you would find it more interesting, as it visually shows the
TV broadcast   As I have to dub it from my camcorder onto VHS, it would be
no problem  to do an extra one and send it to you.  Please give me your full
postal address.  The tape will be on PAL system, so you'll have to convert
it to NTSC.  Give me a couple of weeks.

To keep any further correspondence of the Pianotech site, e-mail me at
bholden@wave.co.nz

Regards,  Brian Holden, Rotorua, New Zealand