Electric Pianos, a little off topic

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:36:26 -0800

A Late Post,

I appreciate your using the electric piano to improve your work with the
chorus.  As a former choral director and present piano tuner may I
suggest . . . that electronic sound does not lead the voice very well.
It's too one dimensional, and seems to discourage the voice.  Yet, I
understand your dilemma.

Also, if you have time, get pianists within your group to develope their
skills and accompany your chorus.  Everybody's richer for it, especially
the pianists.  And you can spend time directing.  I've done both, and
even accapella is superior to accompanying/directing at the same time.
You're awarenes and control are severely limited, thus the product
suffers.

Go another step.  I have an uncle, retired choral director, who was given
a room with no piano.  So, he had to work with his group accapella.
Also, they had to learn to read music vocally.  Imagine that, musical
literacy!!

He ended up saying it was the best year and the best chorus he ever had.

Roger C. Hayden, RPT, B.S. in Music Ed.