The same string - again!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 06 Jan 2000 09:18:42 -0600

>   Having discussed this with her, what else can I do to minimize the
> likelihood of this happening again?  Will setting letoff to a half inch or so
> do the trick?
>
> Regards,
> Clyde Hollinger

Hi Clyde,
Fact is, there's nothing here you can prevent. When I run into this kind of
thing, I explain as reasonably as I can, that I will be happy to keep repairing
broken strings, when my schedule allows and at my price, until they get tired
of waiting for the repair and paying the price, and quit breaking the strings.
I try to make it inescapably clear to them that they are the reason the
string(s) are breaking. I got a call from a High School (private school)
teacher last month with just this problem. For years, he's been pounding the
bejesus out of his Yamaha, and seems to consider it a source of pride that he
can break strings ("I'm such an animal!"). For the last year or so, he has been
using another tech who apparently doesn't lecture him as relentlessly as I do
about the piano abuse. At about 5:00 pm, I got the call. It was panic time.
There was an evening program scheduled in  two hours, he had a half dozen
broken strings and, though the other tech knew the situation, he couldn't reach
him by phone. Could I come right out and save him (yet again)? I declined,
pointing out that the other tech was quite capable, knew the situation, and
would do what he could to repair the damage. I also pointed out (yet again)
that this situation wouldn't come up if he wasn't so relentless in his attempts
to kill the piano. Ultimately, they can take the responsibility themselves or
find another tech who will take it for them. I'm not looking to adopt.

Meanwhile remember: "The truth shall set your fee". Give 'em what for.

Ron N