Whereabouts of SteveMcClintock

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 23:03:11 -0600

Greg,

You wrote:
<<I wish I had the time to figure out how to use the office suites to do
this
stuff. I'm afraid it would simply take too much time to build.>>

The office suites are fully capable of a great database.  You just have to
know how to make it work, and that takes precious time.  After finding out
that PTBiz was $300, I decided to take the time to figure MS Access out for
myself.  I am endeavoring to do tailor a database for my needs.  I am not a
programmer (not yet anyway), but will surely know more about databases after
I study them.  I have bought several books on Access and Visual Basic
programming, both of which are needed in setting up a good database.  I
think PTBiz was primarily done using Access queries and wizards, but I can't
tell for sure since all of the tables, forms, etc. are locked.

My delving into Access will take much more than $300 in books and time, but
I think it will be well worth it to satisfy my curiosity and my
do-it-yourselfer bent.  It's kinda like spending $1000 to save $300, but I'm
going to do it anyway.  I had thought that I could eventually sell what I
develop, but that may be a ways down the road.  I figure it will take me at
least half a year, and maybe up to a year.

Best regards,

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS