Young Chang Syndrome

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:38:28 -0800

Protek on the knuckles?  I use the microfine teflon powder on
knuckles.

David I.

Date sent:      	Wed, 5 Jan 2000 22:22:40 -0500
To:             	pianotech@ptg.org
From:           	staytuned@idirect.com (John Lillico, RPT)
Subject:        	Young Chang Syndrome
Send reply to:  	pianotech@ptg.org

> I dub it the "Young Chang Syndrome", where a note on a grand works just great through many repeats, then seizes up.
>
> I have been told that Young Chang used a "lubricating" agent in their bushing cloth to super accelerate grand actions only to have it eventually backfire in the field. To their credit, Young Chang has performed vast remedial work under warranty.
>
> I've just tuned a 1981(?) Wagner G185 (G812449) grand (Wagner was the forerunner of Young Chang in Canada) which has an extremely heavy, lazy touch. Protek on the knuckles seemed to help the touch in a pinch but not cure the problem. Many tight CP's are evident.
>
> My questions are;
>
>         What was Young Chang's super accelerator (lubricant) called?
>         Through which years was it used?
>         Is there an antidote, short of repinning?
>
> Your imput will assist me in  recommending a remedial procedure for the client. This is not a warranty claim.
>
> In my opinion, Young Chang has been exemplary in honouring (that's Canadian spelling) warranty cl
aims. These questions are not intended as a "slight" against Young Chang Akki, for I hold the produ
ct in high regard. As piano technicians though, we have to know the right answers in order to effec
tively service our clientele.

> John Lillico, RPT
> Oakville, Ontario, Canada

David Ilvedson, RPT