Young Chang Syndrome

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 05 Jan 2000 19:58:45 -0800

I've found that notes which seize up as they warm up are usually due to
failed center pin plating. Repinning with a little reaming of the bushing
seems to work. I suppose some lubricating agent might attack the plating,
but I've never heard what it is.

I suggest that you take a seized hammer (the hammer flanges usually seize
the worst) and
take out the center pin, looking at it under a bright light and a
magnifier. You'll probably
see the scored brass at the ends.

Samick has been particularly prone to this, but other Asian pianos
sometimes seem to have it happen, too. I remember some Daewoos doing it,
for instance.

Susan