Heavy touch & no dynamic range

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 12:51:26 EST

lau@mda.ca writes:

> I have a 5 yr old Steinway upright (model 1098) with a heavy
>  touch and a lack of dynamic range.

John,
The lack of dynamic range is a possible clue for me. Soft hammers often
either masquerade as a heavy touch, or at least exacerbate it. Some voicing
might help. Also, the 1098 does have a closed case. Opening the front board
and the lid can change the tone enough to "make the touch lighter."

Does it also feel too heavy with the damper pedal applied? What kind of
actual downweight and upweight measurements are you getting (with pedal),
bass, middle, and treble?
Bob Davis