Appraisal help

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 20:10:58 -0600

Thanks for this info.  I do remember seeing "Boston" so it is a M&H.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of RJAY440@AOL.COM
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 1999 9:49 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Appraisal help

John, it has always been my understanding that part of the deal Aeolian made
with Mason & Hamlin regarding the buyout was that Aeolian would no longer be
able to cast the word "Boston" into the plate. (Found adjacent to the high
treble section with the name M&H). Therefore if the word Boston does not
appear you probably have an Aeolian piano and vice-versa. Also every Aeolian
M&H that I have seen has a decal on the inner rim on the long side near the
front empire hinge that says; ironically; American Craftsmanship or some
such. Judging from the condition that you describe the piano has little if
any more than wholesale value which last time I let a similar "A" go was
around $3500.00- $4500.00, depending largely on the condition of the board.
As far as desireability goes, yes it is definately desirable to many
rebuilders especially with the dearth of available Steinways. Hope this
helps.