Repair ? or Dump

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 18:09:18 EST

In a message dated 1/2/00 5:33:23 AM !!!First Boot!!!, imatunr@primenet.com
writes:

<< Hi all,
 My last tuning for the year was a old Hoffman upright that presented a
repair that has never been my pleasure to attempt to do. Any suggestions as
to methods of repair that do not require restringing the instrument would be
welcome.
 Problem, screws that hold the capo bar are mostly broken off. Of eight
screws that are broken only one is not broken off deep in the pin block.
 The screws are broken off in this pattern, the capital O is screws in tact
and small o those broken off.
   TENOR    / Treble
 OOOOoooOooooOoOO
 Has anyone out there been able to drill the screw stubs out by going through
the capo bar?
 I was able to tune the instrument but oh what an adventure <G>
 Joe Goss >>

Before attempting to replace the screws, try to figure out why they broke in
the first place. Did someone else try to tighten them?  Is there rust on the
screws, strings or capo bar?  Was this manufacturers problem from way back?

In any rate, I would hesitate too make the repairs until I found out what
caused it. And you probably know my opinion about old uprights. I would lean
very heavily towards recommending a new, or newer piano.

Willem Blees