Fw: Repair ? or Dump

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 02 Jan 2000 15:18:33 -0500

Hi Bob,

> then space the strings to the grooves,  THEN file and space the hammers?

Have you ever tried doing that?  I have and can't so I won't suggest
anything I personally cannot.

Of course having only about 7& of normal sight makes me take round
about means but I have found that in doing so I can usually get a
superior result.  Not always, but close enough for piano work.

String spacing is not as critical on an upright as it is in a grand
where I use an entirely different method.

I take a soundboard steel with masking tape and mark the center of
every treble drop screw including three or four at the top of the
agraffe section.  Place this over the strings and you can see exactly
where the strings _should_ be.  That "scale stick" is the thing
designers send to action makers to have keys and action made to fit
that piano.  Just some reverse engineering that works wonders.

Have a great weekend.

		Newton