Repair ? or Dump

John Dewey jdent@soltec.net
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 13:57:46 -0600

If it is an old beater the first thing I would try is to drill the =
screws with a left hand drill bit and try a easy-out. If the bit catches =
in the screw it will back the screw out. You need a reversible drill for =
this. I would try drilling through the pressure bar. If this doesn=92t =
work all you are out is a little time and the price of a left hand drill =
bit and an easy-out which you will probably use again in the future =
anyway. If it is a real good piano or the above doesn=92t work I would =
follow Newton Hunt=92s procedure. Fastenal (phone (507)-454-5374), who =
claims to have stores all over the US, is where I get my left hand drill =
bits. I think Snap-On (your favorite auto mechanic can probably direct =
you to a dealer) also has them.=20

John Dewey

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Joe & Penny Goss <imatunr@primenet.com>
    To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Saturday, January 01, 2000 11:34 PM
    Subject: Repair ? or Dump
   =20
    Hi all,
    My last tuning for the year was a old Hoffman upright that presented =
a repair that has never been my pleasure to attempt to do. Any =
suggestions as to methods of repair that do not require restringing the =
instrument would be welcome.
    Problem, screws that hold the capo bar are mostly broken off. Of =
eight screws that are broken only one is not broken off deep in the pin =
block.
    The screws are broken off in this pattern, the capital O is screws =
in tact and small o those broken off.
      TENOR    / Treble
    OOOOoooOooooOoOO
    Has anyone out there been able to drill the screw stubs out by going =
through the capo bar?
    I was able to tune the instrument but oh what an adventure <G>
    Joe Goss