Jan.04,1980

Ron Berry ronberry@iquest.net
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 22:56:39 -0500

My newer computers did fine but the 486 had to be told it was 2000.
Try booting into DOS mode.  (Hold F8 while it boots and select
"command prompt only" or let it start to boot windows then turn it off
part way.  When it restarts it will ask to start in safe mode but select
command prompt only)  When you get a C>  type   date
it will show the current setting and ask for a new date
type   01-01-2000
A 486 computer should be able to remember this setting.  Turn off
the computer and let it reboot.
This sets the lower level BIOS and DOS clocks and then the
Windows clock will get the date from them.
This is assuming Win95 or 98.

ron

> My new computer laughed its way right through the changeover, but the
> old 486 ... I visited McAfee's Y2K site with it, and it repeatedly
> seized up as soon as I tried to get the site to diagnose it online.
> So, yesterday evening at about 10 p.m. I reset its clock to 12/31/71.

Ron Berry, RPT, Indianapolis, IN
ronberry@iquest.net
Check out the Piano Page at:
http://www.ptg.org/