Chickering Brass Flanges

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sat, 01 Jan 2000 10:18:23 -0500

At 06:31 PM 12/31/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a 1895 Chickering grand which was just purchased by a private
>customer. I wants to replace the hammers and shanks using the existing
>setup. I am looking for a supplier of the brass flanges as well as what
>would now be considered custom shanks.  See the pictures at the link
>below.
>
>I only need 5 or 6 flanges.  We plan to rebush the brass.  We will need
>shanks.
>
>You help would be appreciated.  Please respond to the email address in
>my signature.  Thanks.
>
>http://216.149.138.152/images/brassflnge1.jpg
>http://216.149.138.152/images/brassflnge2.jpg
>--
>Michael Wathen
>http://www.wapin.com

Michael,
Have a machinist make the flanges.
The shanks are another story, size the hole if necessary. Replace the
knuckles,
cut flush and renotch if a different radius is desirable.

Personally, if there is room under the pinblock, I'd just replace with a whole
new
shank & flange or lower rail to accommodate them. Bore hammers for new center
height.

I see no advantage to museum restoration on this piano, unless that is your
intent.

NHY,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.