drill bits

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:45:50 -0500

le 00/02/29 09:45, Greg Newell à gnewell@EN.COM a écrit :

> Greetings folks,
> I'm about to begin replacing my first pin block and although I've
> watched it done before and read about it a fair amount I'd like to ask a
> question. It seems to me that a fair amount of the problems incurred
> when drilling a pin block are from the heat generated in the process.
> How am I doing so far? Well, I was thinking the other day while plunking
> out a tuning for a rather mediocre upright that it might be a good idea
> to pre drill the hole with a smaller size drill first.

Hi Greg,

Depending on the new pin-block you will use the choice of bit can be
different. You need more size difference between the size of the bit and the
tuning pin if you are going to use the multi-ply maple (Bolduc) block. On
the other hand, if you use the delignit, you need less and the spiral of the
bit should be different as well. What I did when I first started drilling
blocks was to go to a good machinist supply house and buy different size
bits and made test. I had some bits modified so that they would have only
1/2" of the specified size, above that was grinded ssmaller so that the
removed material would come out easier and not burn. The two things that can
influence your stability are speed and feed. If you check what comesw out of
the block when drilling and feel the machine, you should be able to get a
consistent result. Take your time. If you plan to do many, I would recommend
you get the bit cooler that Webb Philips sells. It attaches to your
compressor and really cools the bit plus, it clean the block as you go on.

Hor this helps,

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC