defective actions

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:51:34 -0600

-------------------------
>Terry

That's what the house tech does. He finishes the manufacturers' job and
makes the piano sellable. Sticking keys aren't grounds for sending a piano
back unless they are sticking as a result of some more drastic problem. So
why are they sticking? Are the front rail pins loose and turning by
themselves? Is the keyslip jamming the fronts of the naturals? That's a
very common "post move" service complaint. Are the bushings installed
correctly? Is there any indication that rhinocerii are coming in after
hours and trampling them?

In short, a ten minute fix doesn't qualify for outrage from anyone, where a
half day spent correcting something that was done incorrectly at the
factory does. Some dealers and techs feel that a day's work in finishing a
new piano is an expected thing, where others resent having to even tune
them on the floor, much less make them work. In my opinion, the difference
is between finishing the job, or correcting the job. Finishing is
inevitable, correction shouldn't have to be.

Ron N