defective actions

Thos. D. Carpenter carpthos@televiso.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:35:16 -0700

    We always do a complete regulation on every new piano before it`s  put
on the showroom floor.   Many of the lower priced instrument take up to 6-8
hrs. on uprights, 12-14 hrs. on grands (including voicing).
    When we run into problems we get authorization for the warranty work.
In fact we have an agreement with some of the manufacturers to do $75.00
worth of work before authorization.  However,  I`ve never heard of the brand
"Niemeyer" either.
sincerely,
Tom
-----Original Message-----
From: pianolover@worldspy.net <pianolover@worldspy.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Monday, February 28, 2000 10:46 PM
Subject: defective actions

>Should a Floor tuner try to fix a host of "sticky", and I mean REALLY BADLY
STICKING keys.. at least 6-8, on a BRAND NEW piano, or should the store
owner return it as a defective piano? I would think that when a brand new
piano arrives to the showroom, the action should be free from serious
problems such as this. These keys were so outragiously ILL-FITTED that after
the key is depressed it must be forcibly lifted back to its original
position. The brand in question is "Niemeyer", which I had never heard of
until today. I am told this (verticle)  is a low priced piano, and i would
not be surprised if the manufacturer skimps on their "Quality Control".
Anyway, I have no problem regulating/ repairing used, or as we like to call
them "Pre-owned" Pianos, but I just think it's rediculous to have to make
repairs on a NEW, just arrived piano! I brought this defect to the attention
of the store manager, and he noted the model, and went about his business;
what action he'll take is not !