defective actions

PAT A RALPH KENNETH.GERLER@prodigy.net
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:52:29 -0600

Well, if it is a low end piano, the dealer did not pay much for them.  They
don't do as much work on them at the factory figuring the receiving dealer
will take care of the "little" problems like key easing, action lubrication,
etc.

Ken Gerler

----- Original Message -----
From: <pianolover@worldspy.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2000 11:18 PM
Subject: defective actions

> Should a Floor tuner try to fix a host of "sticky", and I mean REALLY
BADLY STICKING keys.. at least 6-8, on a BRAND NEW piano, or should the
store owner return it as a defective piano? I would think that when a brand
new piano arrives to the showroom, the action should be free from serious
problems such as this. These keys were so outragiously ILL-FITTED that after
the key is depressed it must be forcibly lifted back to its original
position. The brand in question is "Niemeyer", which I had never heard of
until today. I am told this (verticle)  is a low priced piano, and i would
not be surprised if the manufacturer skimps on their "Quality Control".
Anyway, I have no problem regulating/ repairing used, or as we like to call
them "Pre-owned" Pianos, but I just think it's rediculous to have to make
repairs on a NEW, just arrived piano! I brought this defect to the attention
of the store manager, and he noted the model, and went about his business;
what action he'll take is not !