Amusing tortures for "pianos"

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:31:22 -0700

At 04:52 PM 2/27/2000 -0400, Christopher wrote:

>In another eposode of Northern Exposure there was a piano tuner in town who
>was doing some work on the upright in the bar.  He was a grumpy old cuss
>and spent the entire show bossing people around and being mean.  In the end

That was episode 4.13 called "Duets". The piano tuner was hilarious... a
real curmudgeon.

At one point he asks Holling (the bar owner) to go to a music store in
Sleetmute and pick up "a carton of treble hammers". Must be quite the music
store!

>he was giving a piano lesson to one woman and she called his attention to
>an out of tune unison.  He said something "like I did that on purpose".
>"Only God is perfect and to attempt to be perfect would be an insult to
>Him".  I thought that was funny and use it sometimes.

I've heard similar stories in other crafts too. In that NE episode the
tuner mentions Persian Rugs and how one knot is mis-tied for that reason.
Others tell of Rolls Royce and how a stitch will be missed in the leather
somewhere so it won't be totally "perfect". I've heard the excuse that
Steinways all have a deliberate fault in them somewhere so they won't be
perfect either, but that one is rather suspect. B-})

                         John

John Musselwhite, RPT -  Calgary, Alberta Canada
Registered Piano Technician   http://www.musselwhite.com
email: john@musselwhite.com