"diluted temperaments"

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:16:26 PST

List-

I got interested in Bill Bremmers EBVT last year and made an offset
calculation for the RCT.  The trouble is, he uses equal beating intervals,
including octaves, so the offset method doesn't quite match what he does
aurally.

I was intruigued by the idea, and wanted to be able to offer my customers a
temperament based on the circle of fifths.  Kent Swafford (I think) came up
with the idea of using the averaging function included with RCT to dilute
temperaments,...that is.. calculate a tuning, create a temperament adjusted
tuning, then average the two tunings to make a 50% version.

I decided to do it a simpler way.  If you have the offset numbers, you can
simply divide the numbers to get a weaker offset.

The temperament that I decided to alter was the Vallotti Young, because of
the symmetry of the beating 3rds around the circle of 5ths.

Vallotti Young 1799:
cents offset to tuning

c   5.9
c# -3.9
d   2.0
d#  0.0
e  -2.0
f   3.9
f# -5.9
g   3.9
g# -2.0
a   0.0
a#  2.0
b  -3.9

To make a 1/3 strength Vallotti Young:
divide all the numbers by 3, rounding to the nearest tenth. (5.9 becomes
2.0, 3.9 becomes 1.3, and 2.0 becomes 0.6) plug in the numbers and away you
go.  If you want it stronger, multiply the origional numbers by .4, or .45.
conversly, multiply the origional numbers by a smaller number if you want a
weaker temperament.

Experiment with music, N0T aural ET tests, to see the results.  Alternate
temperaments are most notable to students doing chord excersizes, or
arpeggios in a chromatic fashon.

This REALLY can help some of the "quality challenged" pianos sound better in
the simple keys.

Happy tuning!

Ron Koval

Chicago