Refinish Ebony Sharps & Ivory

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:53:47 EST

mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

<< Can anyone out there provide guidance for refinishing ebony sharps and
ivory
 naturals? The ivory is in pretty good shape, just a bit of yellowing. The
 sharps were rough on top and the finish was worn through in spots, so I have
 stripped & sanded them with 400 grit.

 I know the ivory should be sanded, bleached, and put out in the sun - but
 sand with what grits? And how to polish? I can't fathom the thought of
 simply painting the sharps. What kind of a finish does the factory use? What
 about staining them black and clearcoating?

 Terry Farrell
 Piano Tuning & Service >>

Terry

Ebony wood is beautiful in its natural state. Now that you have stripped and
sanded them, buff them with shoe polish.

The ivories can be bleached in the sun, or under a black light.

Willem Blees