Refinish Ebony Sharps & Ivory

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:48:41 -0500

Hello List:

Can anyone out there provide guidance for refinishing ebony sharps and ivory
naturals? The ivory is in pretty good shape, just a bit of yellowing. The
sharps were rough on top and the finish was worn through in spots, so I have
stripped & sanded them with 400 grit.

I know the ivory should be sanded, bleached, and put out in the sun - but
sand with what grits? And how to polish? I can't fathom the thought of
simply painting the sharps. What kind of a finish does the factory use? What
about staining them black and clearcoating?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com