key duplication - partial set

Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:25:29 -0500

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 05:41:30 -0600 Conrad Hoffsommer
<hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu> writes:
> Mark,
>
> Could the event which precipitated this trainwreck have been simply
> that somebody took out the keys (lost object/coin removal) and, not
> having numbered them first, put them back in the wrong place?

That is precisely what I figured had happened..... until I got inside.
The numbers were clearly visible, and all keys were in order.  There was
clearly a more dastardly event that caused this.

> Was this Ellington a player? Baldwin 2nd line...?

The Ellington was not a player, but is indeed a Baldwin product.  And it
is in every other way a piano that is in very good shape.  Fabulous
sound, esp. in bass, of course, and very solid action.  All keys but
these mangled 12 are straight as an arrow.

  The cost of any key duplication service, even if you do
> it yourself, is greater that the value of that 70+ yr old upright, and
> the owner should be made fully aware of that fact.

Yes, I was afraid that would be the case, and my customer knows it.  It
still might be an avenue worth taking, though, because of the family's
ties to this upright.  Certainly a full set of keys is not warranted, nor
needed, but just these 12?  Maybe...

Thanks, Conrad,

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com