SAT stretch #

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 05:19:45 EST

 >Do any SAT users out there (Who have the FAC Facility) ever find that
>by adding a small percentage, say 5 or 10 percent to the C6 stretch number,
>the high treble ends up sounding better?

Greetings,
     Manipulation of the FAC numbers moves the curve around.  By reducing my
F by 10 percent, I found that I avoided intonation problems in the studios.
The piano sounds best when the low end is flatter than a bass player is
comfortable with. So, in the interest of tuning ease in sessions, I keep the
bass sharper than I do elsewhere.
    As far as "better",  the treble is best tuned to taste. By the last
octave, I find myself happy with a variety of sharpness.  i.e.  some pianos
sing with an additional 20 percent, some become as harsh as an underpaid
nanny on a bad day.  If I understand the rumored "Steinway Hall tuning", the
less tempered fifths in the treble will also crank the curve skyward. Great
for concerto work, as it hints at the expression available in the
temperaments.
    It is also interesting that if a bar piano is stretched like a limo, it
can sound a lot better when the place is busy(a little noisy), it maintains
some of its own identity over the competition. That same stretch sounds a
little edgy in the quiet of an early morning tuning.  But then again, late at
night, when everybody is sloshed, it don't make a hill of beans what you got
in there...........
REgards to all,
Ed Foote