key duplication - partial set

Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:53:47 -0500

Hi List -

Upon approaching a first-time customer's Ellington upright on Friday, I
stood and stared in disbelief at the keys in the bass.  Over the phone
she had said that her daughter was complaining about sticky keys.  What I
saw was 10-12 keys, not consecutive, but all in the bass, that were going
'every which way' but straight.  They were not a little crooked, some
were not even able to ride on their own front pin and were pushing so
hard on their neighbors that even keys a couple notes down were
affected... kind of like a 10-car pile-up.

When I opened up the case to gain access to the keys I could see that
some unexplainable event had taken place.  The only scenario I can
conjure up is that at some time in the past a technician removed the keys
for some reason and a pack of rhinoceros' just happened to stampede thru
the room at that moment.  They were mangled beyond description, and the
oddest efforts had been made by some cowboy to cut large triangular
notches and glue hunks of wood into the sides of the keys to "re-route"
them into place - quite unsuccesfully, to be sure.

My question is this.... does anyone know of a service that would
remanufacture app. 12 keys?  The rest of the keys are fine, but these 12
are WAY beyond fixing.  Has anyone run into anything similar and found a
successful remedy?  I have replaced the stray key here and there over the
years, but with this many I thought it may be more feasible to farm it
out to an operation that specializes in this kind of work.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated..

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com