Tightening the plate...

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 19:04:07 +0100

Frank Weston wrote:

> Correct me if I am mistaken, but wasn't the original questioner asking how
> he should tighten the screws and what measuring tools might be required?

> " What is the proper method for tightening plate screws, and do I need some
> kind of tool to measure the amount of torque?"

Ok.. but your response was simply

 "Why would you want to tighten the plate screws"

to which I replied in a humorously meant manner "Ah Frank... come on"

To which you retorted with a posting that already was getting away from the
origional postings query so the way I got it figured we are evenly far away from
the origional question.

> Since hes, then
> maybe he would be better off leaving them alone.  Further, while many of the
> universally applicable answer to the question.  An answer that could be
> safely practiced in all situations.

Whadya want from a stakkars list anyways ??? I thought the advice was good,
informative and should lead the fellow in question in the direction of asking
more questions... and figureing things out ... kinda like we all do.. grin

> Don't tighten the plate screws unless you are absolutely certain that you
> will be doing no damage and you know that the result will be to restore the
> plate to proper position.   You must be able to determine what proper
> position is and then to determine how your tightening will move the plate
> closer to that position.  You must also be aware of the current dimension of
> the wood involved as well as what the dimension was when the screws were
> installed and will be six months from now.  This is a pretty tall order for
> a newbie working on his first floor tunings on new pianos.  I ask again:
> Why would you want to tighten plate screws?

At least now your question is put in a light where this fellow who  "obviously
did not have the requisite knowledge and/or skill to determine the answer for
himself on a situation by situation basis" (your words) can probably understand
better your concerns and points... which I might add are good ones in my
opinion. Tho I suppose we could argue a bit about the reality of ever finding
the origional proper position ....due to the fact that the piano is a living
thing that changes in more ways then one.... grin.  but I take your point and
aggree with it as far as it goes...

Be that as it may... there are many times very obvious cases of loose plate
screws and bolts... and these should be tightened so that they are snug. I say
again.. no piano manufacturer intended that the plate sits loosely on the rim or
whatever the actual situation in each case is.. Loose is loose Frank... beyond
that... sure I agree with you.. if you are not sure... make sure before doing
anything.

We happy now ??? grin

--
Richard Brekne