Speed, Accuracy & Efficiency=Profit

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 01:00:47 EST

In a message dated 02/25/2000 9:27:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
btrout@desupernet.net writes:

<< Hi Bill,

 I'm glad you had a good day today.  Some days go like that.  And some days
 just don't.

 I had a rotten day today.  Not really because of any one thing, but just the
 whole combination.

 My first call was a "freebie".  I do subcontract tunings for a store.  I had
 tuned and installed a Dampp-Chaser system three weeks ago.  Well, a couple
 of days after, I got a note that there were some "sticky keys", would I go
 back and take care of the problem.  Sure.  I figure with a bit of added
 moisture, perhaps there's a hammer or two rubbing or a tight key bushing, or
 something similar.  I get there, and we're chasing ghosts of problems past.
 Notes that she claims are making funny noises which are nice and quiet and
 pleasant compared to the 'normal' racket from keys around them..., not much
 volume in the highest 3 or 4 notes of the piano, we won't get into hearing
 problems right now, a barely audible squeak in the pedal, <we can't hear
 high C, but we can hear a squeak in the pedal which is about 1/100 the noise
 of high C, and ironically, nearly the same pitch> (which required some
 rebushing of trapwork, and this is a 2 year old Chickering grand, just burns
 me a bit that it wasn't a little better made to begin with, another
 story...)... I do feel an obligation if these are things I was asked to
 address when I was there to tune, or were obvious when I was there to tune,
 but they were not, and I was not. The list continues.  I'll be blunt.  This
 thing is a polished turd. For every thing you fix, there's two more things
 waiting.  This stuff was not what I would call a fault of mine for having
 tuned and installed a climate control system, but yet, it's my fault that
 there was a "call-back", and I'm expected to "take care of it at my own
 expense".  It's a good thing I'm not in the car business.  If someone
 brought me their car for me to replace all four tires and the next week the
 muffler fell off, I'd be expected to put on a new muffler system... at no
 charge.   AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!   Let's just say there's some serious
 re-evaluation going on in my mind at this time.  (And Roger, if you're
 reading this, I think I might know a little of what you might be thinking,
 but if you want to comment openly or privately, I'm certainly open to your
 thoughts.)

 The whole thing was allotted a 1/2 hour time slot, and of course, I went
 over, so I'm late to my next appointment, which by the way is 3/4 hour drive
 away, not 1/4 hour, as my time allotment would indicate.

 I arrive to find one of the nastiest Steinway 1098's I have ever tuned.  I
 tried all of the tricks I could think of.  The CPL on the bearing points,
 tuning lever at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00...  hard blows, fast blows, sitting,
 standing,... It was still a miserable piano to tune, full of false beats,
 flagpolling to beat the band, horrible rendering, and hard on the shoulder.
 Call me what you want, it took me about 1 3/4 hours before I was satisfied
 with it.

 So I'm still late for my next appointment, although it's not out of line
 judging from my being late from the first one.  Until,... I head down the
 highway only to find out that between traffic, and hitting every possible
 red light, stop sign, and tourist available at the time, that my next stop
 is well over an hour's drive away.  (And you can bet your bippy there's no
 hour scheduled into my day for drive time.)

 So I arrive at the next one about an hour late.  Fortunately, a nice
 customer, but a nasty little piano that's almost as bad as the Steinway 1098
 for string equalization, with some really nasty scaling problems to try to
 overcome trying to create a nice tuning.  It did turn out pretty nice, but
 it required a bit of extra creativity to get the temperament area to sound
 uniform, TuneLab just couldn't quite do it this time... and by this time,
 I'm tired, and late, and getting cranky.

 I had other things I wanted to do today as well, that just didn't get done.
 After the last tuning, I had another hour and a half drive back to my home
 town, which got me to a planned stop exactly 4 minutes after they closed for
 the day.

 Some days do go well.  Some days it seems that no matter how hard I try, I
 just can't make it flow smoothly.

 Maybe someday, I'll figure out how to do this thing.  Or maybe I'll get
 smart and figure out how to make a living with shop work, since that's what
 I'd much rather be doing anyway.  Yea, yea, I've heard it before, "tuning is
 where the money is..."  After a day like today, I don't give a rat's a...
 well, let's just say I don't care how good it pays.  I had a crappy day.  I
 didn't make much money, and I didn't have much fun doing it.

 I'm venting a bit too much.  Sorry for the downer folks.  I just needed to
 blow off some steam.

 I'm going to bed now.  Maybe I'll feel better when I get up.

 G'night all.

 Brian T. (Frustrated in Pennsylvania)

We all have bad days.  My advice is for you to schedule your tunings in the
same local so you do not have an hour or more to drive between appointments.
And remember, tomorrow is another day.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR