Fw: Hexigrip pinblock

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 16:25:17 EST

In a message via Pat Neely, Sandi Cooper writes,

> ...if there is
>  > something unusual about this hexigrip pinblock . I don't like it because
>  > the pins jump. This is a brand new piano, and I am wondering if they are
>  > using tuning pins like Yamaha used for awhile that had little teeth or
>  > barbs on them that allow the pin to turn clockwise, but fight the counter
>  > clockwise direction.

Others have answered well about the cut pins and the fact that "Hexagrip"
describes the grain orientation between layers of a very good quarter-sawn
maple block. We have replace dozens of blocks with this configuration (cut
pins and maple block, some quarter-sawn maple from Bolduc and some
quarter-sawn/Hexagrip from Steinway) and had VERY good success with both in
consistency and tunability. We have followed some for more than twenty years
with good durability. We have found jumpy pins in this setup only from
1) Drilling too small (Steinway drills .250, we drill .257)
2) Glazing from inappropriate drill or feed speed (drill test holes)
3) Glazing from dull bit (just ONE more block....)
4) Spill (usually of sugary liquid)
5) Tuning pins bent from careless driving

With a spill, you'll usually see a stain left behind on the plate area of
snappy pins, but even if you don't, they're usually clustered in one section.
Are yours clustered or random, and how many are there?

Bob Davis (CC sent to Sandi Cooper keyrail@juno.com)