Hart spring tool

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 08:19:23 -0800

Hi Joe,
This can happen on some pianos.  (That's why LaRoy favors his own spring
tool for Yamahas)  I believe that Glen designed the tool with Steinway in
mind.  I made my own out of damper wire for those pianos with dimensions
that vary slightly.

Saw your picture in Accent.  Did you enjoy your experience at the Little Red
Schoolhouse as I expected you would?

Jeannie
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Joseph Alkana
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2000 10:15 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Hart spring tool

List,
Today I did my first two piano recording studio gig. Quite an
experience. Working around sound techs, noisy fans and people moving
stuff around was quite a challenge. The pianos were a Yamaha GH2 and a
Yamaha C7. But I am digressing. What I really wanted to say was that I
went over the repetition springs on the C7, as I felt they were a little
uneven. In the process I found out that the Hart spring tool, while
wonderful for most pianos, did not position the spring back in the
groove correctly. I actually pulled off a whipen and experimented with
placement of the tool for optimum usage. Unfortunately, I could not get
a correct placement of the spring no matter how I tried. The spring slot
is really a little small, and the round tip of the tool, which double as
a spacer, simply could not place the spring in the middle of the slot.

I almost put the action back in the piano with many springs hung up on
the lip of the groove. Ooooo, what a bummer that would have been come
recording time Saturday AM. Good thing I practiced the Yamaha trick of
looking sideways through the whipens to check for mistakes like that.
Thanks LaRoy and Little Red Schoolhouse (Yamaha).

Anyone else finding a problem using the tool on Yamahas or other pianos?

Joseph Alkana  RPT