Old Chestnut "Bootleg Pianos"

Robin Stevens pianotun@globalfreeway.com.au
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 23:40:15 +1030

HI List.
In Australia  we are being bombarded with these reject Pianos from Japan
which is causing no end of problems for the Tuners & consumers.
I.E. when arriving to a very low humidity environment. ( Australia has a
range of  very high humidity to a completely dry environment.) They
dehydrate and die!!!
My question is how do we identify these Pianos when asked to, or give an
opinion re there suitability for a environment which is totally different
from their of  country  of origin.
Apart from the loose tuning pins ,rusty screws, poor tonal quality. I am
finding it a ever increasing task to identify these Bootleg pianos.
The piano in question at the moment is a Yamaha G3  Grand 1983 sold for Aus$
17000.00 (very dear)
(the Purchaser was told it was a ex Sydney Opera House piano)  (Favourite
Story in Australia to sell a Grand Piano to a music snob).
there seems to be a common thread re there identification
It seems that only the domestic Japanese Pianos had the plasitic Pouch
attached  inside the Bass rim for the Fall Key.
The Sosunuto Pedal was only fitted to the export Models
I am very interested in any opinions  of fellow tuners re identification of
these misfit pianos
Robin Stevens (Australia)