Virus scare

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 19:22:22 -0500

It costs about $4/yr to subscribe to Norton Virus Updates.
I update every Friday automatically thru Task Scheduler
in the wee hours of the morning.

Tuesday nights it runs ScanDisk, Defrag.
Wednesday nights, Disk-Cleanup.
Virus Scan everyday 5AM just for fun.

No Demon in_my_computer.

Jon Page

At 04:23 PM 02/24/2000 -0600, you wrote:

> I had one last weekend, it ate my kernel32.dll file and 3 others. Norton AV
> said it was "Blanky", but does not list it in the current list of viruses.
> (I'm a little to blame as I bought Norton about 4 or 5 years ago and have
> neved updated it, nor have I been diligent about leaving the "protection"
on.

> While I don't wish to take up valuable band width unnecessarily, I feel it's
> appropriate to let the rest of you know about this - I generally get about
> 60-65 emails a day, mostly from this group. This past week it seems to be a
> lot less, and I really hope that no one else on this list fell victum. (One
> of the 1st things affected was mshttp file, and Internet access was cut
off.)

> If this will help anyone, the computer God that I deal with had me re-load
> Windows 98 into a "WIN 95" directory which worked. I immediately went to the
> Norton AV site and updated the virus library, ran the scan on al files, and
> fixed the problem. (Another computer place in town was talking FDISK and,
> "bring all your original software with you, drivers, etc.)
>
> THIS puppy will be paying more attention to backup, updating Norton monthly,
> and will continue to be wary of the attachments I see occasionally herein as
> well as other fixed sites.
>
> Roy Ulrich

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.