Cryogenic string treatment, worth it or not?

Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:09:06 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Adkins <RADKINS@coe.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 23, 2000 7:30 AM
Subject: Cryogenic string treatment, worth it or not?

> I was taking a paper patern for Bass strings on a small Christman grand
> last night and the customer asked about having the new bass strings
> treated @our local Cryogenics lab. I've done some web searching, but
> I don't see a source for someone using Cryogenics before winding
> the strings. I'd think there'd be some issues using this treatment on
> custom wound strings. There's got to be a big difference in co-efficients
> between copper and the steel core. I'm worried the copper could
> become loose from the steel if this is done.
>
>  I told them the only way to tell if there actually was an improvement in
tone was to buy 2 sets of strings...or a partial set and test them side by
side. Even then, I'm not sure the average customer is going to hear the
difference/or be willing to pay extra for something they cannot hear.
> he said he thought we could get a set treated for $1 per string.
>
> Anyone ever actually try doing this? Other than additional price,
> pros & cons?

We tested a few of these strings at Baldwin in the late 1980's.  Several
sets on several different models of piano.

No one could hear any difference at all that could be attributed to the
cryogenic treatment of the strings.  Nor could I measure any difference with
the equipment I had at the time.  (A fairly good -- for the time -- HP FFT
analyzer.)

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder