Fw: Hexigrip pinblock

Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:52:50 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 23, 2000 6:38 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Hexigrip pinblock

> Cut thread ( "little teeth" ) tuning pins don't make for a snappy fit.
They
> minimize the problem. Yamaha and everyone else still uses them because
they
> produce better results. Repeat "cut threads are good" until you begin to
> believe it. I don't know what Steinway is currently using for tuning pins,
> so anything is possible here.
>
> If there is any contamination on the pins, or in the block when the pins
> are driven in, or the block was drilled with too small a diameter hole,
you
> can get snappy pins. When pins are pressed against the plate hole by
string
> tension, as in Steinway and Baldwin, they tend to be jumpier too. Did you
> notice how many of the jumpy pins were riding the plate?
>
> All in all, it's probably nothing you can fix without repinning (etc.).
>
> Ron N

That cut-thread tuning pins give generally better performance than do pins
with rolled threads is certainly true.  But...

This notion of the 'little teeth' having anything to do with this
performance is marketing hype of the worst kind.  Not only is it misleading,
it is downright untrue.  And most of those using this spiel to sell
something know it.

Consider.  If, in fact, the 'little teeth' actually did dig in a resist the
counterclockwise rotation of the pin in the pinblock, what would really be
happening when you tuned the piano?  Right, those 'little teeth' would be
tearing the hell out of the pinblock and you would be literally destroying
the block by the very act of tuning.  You could only turn the pin clockwise
in the block without causing extensive damage to the wood fiber.  Yes, the
very same wood fiber you are depending on to hold torque on this pin for the
next two or three hundred years.

No.  Those 'little teeth' are the natural residue of the machine process
that cuts the threads.  They are very tiny shards of metal that could be
easily wire-brushed off and the pin would work just as well.  That's it,
that is all that they are.  No mystery.  No secret manufacturing technique.
Nothing but marketing deception.  These shards are bunged and mangled out of
the way as the pin is driven into the block and any residual 'little teeth'
that might remain after this torture treatment are mashed flat or torn off
when the piano is chipped and tuned to pitch for the first time.  With the
string removed the torque required to turn these pins either clockwise or
counterclockwise is the same.  Thank goodness.

Del