blow discrepancy:technique?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 00:04:33 EST

In a message dated 2/21/2000 10:21:07 AM, Dave wrote:

<<Was always concerned
more with relationships working between travel distance
and key travel for correct aftertouch then travel being 1 7/8.>>

Dave "aftertouch" is a product of key dip and hammer/wippen travel and
"correct" aftertouch can only be reliably determined 'after' hammer travel
distance has been decided.
 Also measuring from the back of the moulding will 'not' give you a
consistent blow distance as the distance measured this way will remain static
even as the hammers are grooved and filed and grooved and filed and
grooved...well you get the idea. (if I understand what you said :)
Measurement from the striking surface of the hammer to the string is my
preferred method....taking into account any "arc" of travel is not needful
and while interesting, is a waste of time, in my opinion.  The only reason
for wanting to know any "arcing" distance would be for theoretical/design
purposes, in which case it is useful.
My view.
 Jim Bryant (FL)