Hairline Crack

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 19:15:59 +0100

I gots to aggree with Jon here.. nice post btw... I have spent the last
two years doing exclusively shims for crack repairs.. Just wanted to get
reasonably good at that process in a general move towards improving my
woodworking skills.  But aside from the difference in color, I generally
like the results I get from epoxy fills better. I have yet to see an
epoxy fill ever show a new crack adjacent to it.

As for the cosmetics of all this with crack fills... I am not quite
convinced that repairing cracks doesnt somehow help the structure of the
panel and ribs in general. Especially in the case of an epoxy fill. How
much tho is an open question. I think most rebuilders aggree that it has
little or nothing to do with the panels acoustic charachteristics tho.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.