Wurlitzer Harmonics

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:57:26 -0600

Hi Dan,
            Several comments.
#1 Make sure the the damper guide rail screws are tight, and that the damper
guide rail is not moving. Common problem.
#2 Carefully check that the damper wires are traveling freely thro' the
guides,
the wire bending leaves a lot to be desired. Some tell tale signs, are the
underlevers evenly spaced? if not I'll bet the wire bending is poor, this will
cause side pressure on the guide bushing causing poor damping.
Slacking off the damper wire screw and checking to see if under lever will
slide up and down the wire easily, can give you a clue to poor quality
bending.
Look along the damper wires and see if all the bends follow an even pattern,
I'll bet not.
#3 Check to see the spacing of the guide bushing holes wrt to the string lay
out. I've encountered some very creative factory bending because the guide
hole
is directly under a string.
Just some thoughts
Roger

At 03:45 PM 18/02/00 -0500, you wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> I service regularly a Wurlitzer 5'3" Grand (S.N. 68408, purchased in 1998)
> that has very heavy usage. Regularly their are audible harmonics (the owner
> calls them 'hummings') caused by leaking bass dampers. After regulation the
> audible harmonics are gone, only to reappear in a few weeks.
>
> Has anyone else run into this? I'm ready to start replacing damper felt, I
> think, unless there is another solution I'm missing. The dampers can  be the
> same or different than those previouly re- regulated.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Dan Hallett

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.