Strip muting methods

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 07:10:06 -0600

Terry,
I use a strip that is about 1/2" or less of action cloth.  This is thick
enough to dampen, but not too wide to fit between 99% of the pianos just
below the strike point of the hammer, but above the damper felt.  I almost
never have to move the felt behind the damper felt.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter
lafargue@iamerica.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of pianolover@worldspy.net
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 6:05 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Strip muting methods

Hi all,

I visited Radio Shack with hopes of findinf a "ready made" swithch that
would work for my SAT, but no luck...gotta "do-it-yourself" with solder and
wires and stuff...in the words of Former President Bush: "NA GANNA DO IT!"
So, I guess I'll just order a foot switch from Sanderson.

Ok...now about strip muting. I know there are lots of methods out there, but
I am trying to improve my speed and efficiency in the process. I get hung up
when on the way back down, the hi treble dampers get in the way of the mute
strip as i pull it little by little to tune each outside string...so I
usually just take it out completely in this area, (being careful, having
pushed the felt down between the dampers and the strings)  and use a wedge,
although it's more time consuming. I'd be interested in hearing any time
saving tips on strip muting, (I know techniques were discussed in a recent
thread) and I usually do not strip out the bichord unisons; I still get a
bit confused when I try strip muting them, and it slows me down too much. .I
tune these using a felt wedge...it goes pretty fast.

Thanks,

Terry Peterson

Get free Internet service and email at http://www.worldspy.com