Why Wapin is Not Public Domian

michael wathen michael.wathen@wapin.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:48:03 -0500

About the $325 per piano installation of Wapin --- About the
confidentiality agreements

Really, we have no choice. We are resellers of an intellectual
property.  We have a contractual obligation to the University of
Cincinnati.  It makes no difference that I am the inventor. It's UC's
property. Even I do not have the legal right to install Wapin without
paying nor do I have the legal right to share know-how with anyone
outside the University unless they sign an agreement. This applies even
after the patent issues. We are merely a keep alive option for the
technology under those specific terms.

As far a patents and their value.  Imagine a world without intellectual
property.  Let's just say that Wapin is so great and that UC is giving
it to everyone.  What do you think would happen to the American piano
industry? Who would be the most likely to take up a new technology? What
country would likely start producing and markteting pianos with this new
technology?

Finally, I am not really concerned that a lot of techs are incredulous
about our claims. I have been in the Guild long enough to witness the
resistance of technological change. I can remember hugh battles when a
few techs were enticed into using Sanderson's Sight-O-Tuner.

If you are uncomfortable with the idea of Wapin then let it be.  It's
not for you. If you want to take a wait and see approach that's okay
too!

--
Michael Wathen
Wapin,LLP