Wapin promotion

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:55:59 +1300

Stephen,

This response isn't so much to do with the wapin system as such, (which I
have seen a sample of, so no secrets), but more to say, that with me "the
jury is still out on new controversial advances" until I can experience the
results for myself. (I'm sure most of us feel the same way here).
On that basis it will take time to be accepted if it truly has something to
offer.

As to the review. Was the reviewer listening with his "Steinway ears"?
We all get used to certain sounds and gravitate towards those that we enjoy.
This is to be expected.
Another reviewer may have the opposite opinion.
I downloaded a couple of MP3 recordings of the "wapin sound" however I can't
really do justice with a review because I can only hear it via my laptop
speakers presently, though I will add that it had a "crystal clarity" to the
sound comparing to other MP3 clips of other pianos.

With recordings there are so many variables that I would be sceptical from
the outset. (Mic placement, engineers preferences etc etc.)
I've purchased CD's based on others reviews only to be disappointed and vice
versa.
Best to play and hear for yourself if you ever get the opportunity.

I suppose at the end of the day what I'm really saying here is that everyone
has an opinion on most things and many people will defend their opinions
too, even if presented with overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Human nature I guess.

Cheers,
Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth NZ