Wapin promotion

Bill Springer bake@spa.att.ne.jp
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:45:41 +0900

Hi Steven,

If I read your post correctly you state,

"I haven't heard the CD and no nothing about the pianist so cannot comment
personally." Yet you conclude that "this CD is a negative promotional
device".

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I do know that Richard Morris (the pianist on the CD) was setting all kinds
of records on the MP3 site for downloads, in the hundreds of thousands! His
"Moonlight Sonata" cut from this CD was on the top of the charts at MP3 for
many weeks.  Not just the classical section, ALL of Mp3!

Check out this link: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/6/richard_morris.html

Bill Springer, RPT
Card carrying Wapin Installer!

bill.springer@wapin.com
http://www.wapin.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Stephen Birkett
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000 1:12 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Wapin promotion

I have a question that relates to the promotional aspects. Perhaps Bill or
someone else can fill in some information. On antoher list the subject of
Wapin came up in a negative way - this is a piano performance list (not
piano technical). Someone there had been sent a promotional CD from the
Cincinnati folks, with pianist Richard Morris playing a Wapinized piano.
Now this guy that got the CD is pianist and a national critic and he gave
an incredibly bad review of the musical aspects of the playing. Then he
went on to say he found the sound of the piano abominable.[I haven't heard
the CD and no nothing about the pianist so cannot comment personally.] So
it seems this CD is a negative promotional device so why is it being
distributed? The reviewer has no vested interest here and didn't even know
anything about Wapin when he formed his opinions of the piano sound.
Extrapolating, I'm wondering is this CD representative of the Wapin sound
or is it a dud (like the piano at the convention)?

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228