Strip muting methods

Michel Lachance michel_lachance@hotmail.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:28:16 EST

Terry,

The idea of saving time with strip muting is to reduce any manipulation as
much as possible.

Stripping the bicord is not a big deal.  On most pianos, you have a that
kind of pattern where the pins sort of group by set of four.  It is so that
when you strip, you do the first pass by tuning the group of two pins that
are farther to each other, and second pass by tuning the group of two pins
that are next to the other - or the other way around.

I try to do the same with the tenor section.  I use two strip mutes, put
each one every two tricord, up to the point the space doesn't allow more
than one.  On the first pass, I tune all the center pins.  Then I take off a
strip and tune the unmuted strings that always happen to be on the same
pattern (pins that are either farther or nearer to each other by sets of two
tricords), and on the third pass I take off the other strip and tune by the
other pattern.  Easier to show than to explain...

The best way I found for the dampered treble section is a modified wire mute
where I made a split on one side.  I first insert the small wedge between
the second and the third string, tune, pull it a bit and put it back
immediately to free the second string.  Again, easier to show...

For pitch raise tuning (which I do most of the time...), I use a single
strip and tune bottom up, unisons as you go.

Michel Lachance, RPT